Google G Suite or Office 365, which is better? This is a question that many small and midsize would like to see answered. Microsoft and Google both provide robust, cloud-based productivity tools that are wonderful for business tasks.
Microsoft has long been the number one product on the market when it comes to office products. At $13.8 billion in sales, Office takes home the market share. However, G Suite is ranked number two at $1.3 billion, according to figures from 2016. Google has since doubled the number of enterprise users to 4 million — by listening to what features businesses want and need. It is entirely possible for G Suite to overtake Office soon if the trend continues.
Each program has distinct advantages and disadvantages. The right one for your needs will depend on a variety of factors. In this blog post, we’ll compare the two popular programs so that you can decide which one is ideal for your business needs.
G Suite allows you to set up mobile management on iOS, Android, Windows, and other smartphones and tablets. Google offers administrator mobile device management helps keep data secure if the device is lost or stolen. You can place passwords, screen locks and even erase confidential data with the data wipe feature. One of the advantages of the data wipe feature is that it allows for selective account wipe.
Office 365 is available for PC, Mac, Android, iOS and Windows tablets and phones. This allows you or your employees to work from home or a local coffee shop. The documents are optimized for mobile phones and tablets on the apps, and core editing is free for screen sizes that are 10.1 inches or less. This interface makes it easy to do work on the go.
Customer Service and Support
G Suite wins when it comes to customer service and support. They offer 24/7 support. You can choose phone support, email support and chat support. Help is available in 14 languages. Assistance is available to G Suite administrators only.
Microsoft Office 365 includes phone and online support. Phone support is only available from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday. Support is also only available in English. For these reasons, we’d have to give the advantage to G Suite when it comes to support. Being able to access a live person 24/7 in the language of your choice is very valuable for most business owners.
Features are essential when it comes to office and productivity products. This is one of the main factors that small and large business alike look at when choosing a product. The G Suite Business edition offers:
- G Suite provides access to everything that you need to collaborate, create and control including Gmail, Docs, Calendars, Sheets, Slides, Hangouts, App Maker, Keep, Jamboard and Drive.
- Unlimited photo, email and file storage for each user for medium-sized companies – f there are less than four individuals in your business, each person gets 1TB of storage.
- Advanced administrator controls and reports – You can get custom alert on Google Drive activity. So, if documents are shared outside of your organization, you will be notified. You can also create and easily track security keys for your company and restrict specific tasks to specific persons. IT experience is not required to use and control features of G Suite.
- Team drives – This feature allows everyone on your team to share files and documents easily.
- Business grade security – High-level security features kept your company data safe and protected if devices are stolen or lost.
Office 365 has the following features:
- Office 365 features a robust suite of products including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, Publisher (PC only), Access (PC only) and OneDrive for Business.
- 1TB of personal cloud storage per user.
- Advanced administrator features – You can easily use and control Office 365 across your company. Using administrative functions without any IT experience is easy. You can and easily add and remove users in minutes.
- Professional digital storytelling – Office 365 offers a new digital storytelling app called Sway. This app lets you create web-based trainings, reports and more right from your tablet or phone. Sway stories display nicely on mobile screens.
- Five-layer security – Cutting-edge security ensures that your business and customer data is kept safe and secure. Data stays private and protected.
Pricing is another crucial factor especially for smaller businesses that may be trying to save money.
G Suite offers two different business pricing plans. The Basic plan is $5 per user per month. It includes:
- Shared calendars
- Secure team messaging
- Video and voice conferencing
- Documents, spreadsheets, and presentations access
- 30GB cloud storage
- 24/7 support by phone, email, and online
- Advanced administrative and security controls – You can manage devices, easily add users and configure customized security settings, so your data stays safe. Mobile device management and 2-step verification are included.
The Business Plan is $10 per month per user. It includes all of the above things plus the following advanced business features:
- Low-code app development – Allows you to create apps for your business using templates efficiently.
- eDiscovery for chats, files, and emails – This feature allows you to search and retrieve information and data more efficiently.
- Unlimited cloud storage.
Office 365 Business version offers one plan only, which includes 1TB of cloud storage. However, there are two different payment options. It costs $8.25 per user each month when you pay annually or $10 per user each month when you pay monthly. Having the flexibility to choose is an advantage. Also, Microsoft offers a free trial, which is a plus and gives you the opportunity to try the product out for free.
If you’re an SMB moving from Managed Google G Suite services to Managed Office 365 services and need some help with your migration, we are here to help. We’re helping businesses throughout North America with migrating data, as well as ongoing maintenance for G Suite and Office 365 deployments. Contact us to learn more.